Wednesday, June 20, 2012

Dandelion Fluff And Sowing The Seeds Of Love



"Oh!  What have I let you do to me?
I've become fluff and let my poor heart just drift away like dandelion seeds floating on the wind!" ~ T.C.K.

Today is the Summer Solstice, longest day in the year. Being a shadow creature, I welcome the additional sunlight but not without remorse for the lessened starlight.  I love to spend my wishes on the night, softly whispering my dreams to the heavens.  Being resourceful though, I will make the most of the solstice gift and instead, wish on some dandelions!


Photo by Angeleyes-ltd on deviantart 

Always the imaginative child, I spent so much time outdoors on the family's country homestead.  I did the kinds of things many children do, chase butterflies, pick wild flowers, make a whistle from a blade of grass, tie clover necklaces and wish on dandelions.  In fact dandelions were so much a favorite, much to my Mother's chagrin, my hands would be stained black from their residue, the odor of the flower permeated in my clothes, seeds tangled in my long, wild mane.  I have always been filled with an abundance of wishes and the need to send them scattering out to find their happenstance was something I took quite seriously.  Along with the desecration of innumerous daisies for their romantic prophecy, I huffed and puffed my way through acres of dandelion in the quest for love.

    

Although considered by some to be an annoying weed, the dandelion is actually an amazing flower!  Its use in teas and salad greens is legendary.  The plant's healing properties could replace a medicine chest with its antioxidants, liver and blood cleansing abilities plus being an effective digestion aid.  Personally, I have always been intrigued by the dandelion's metaphysical properties.  According to Gypsy Magic, the flower generates the energy of abundance, regeneration and the courage to start something new.  Scott Cunningham wrote in his Encyclopedia of Magical Herbs that the dandelion is useful for wish manifestation, divination and spirit communication.  It is said that if you imagine a message then blow the seeds in the direction of the desired recipient, they will telepathically receive your thought.  Drinking dandelion root tea before scrying, enhances your divination skills.  Burning dandelion leaves like incense brings prophetic dreams and lures spirits to your side.  Being a cartomancer and a necromancer, no wonder I am a dandelion child!


Photo by xeyelinerxwhorex on deviantart

With all this dandelion fluff blowing around, it has occurred to me that there is an interesting element about the power of a dandelion.  By its very construction, it resembles a burst of fireworks, doesn't it?  As the tiny seeds explode from the stem, they look like sparks!  As the wind or your breath hit the flower, the white tufts explode into the air.  Have you ever seen a dandelion smothered field?  It could easily be mistaken for a sunshine drenched version of a fireworks display, filling the air with explosive energy, bits of amazement and miniature cataclysmic bliss!


  Photo by denull-co-uk on deviantart

When kisses are spoken of, the cliche of "seeing fireworks" comes to mind.  Memories of countless celebrations, picnics, and festivals that culminated with star spangled detonation are supposed to be the sure sign that we have met our alchemical match.  But if we are to know for sure that we have found the perfect mate, shouldn't we see something more natural, enduringly more magical - perhaps we should see exploding dandelions?  Then it would mean the most romantic flower would actually be the humble dandelion, something I am certain roses, with their thorns, would envy.  I would like to think that all the puffs I sent out into the cosmos, all those seeds scattered on the wind would surely bring my manifested wish back to me this way.  So today, the longest day of the year, I hold a white puff of magic in my hands.  I gather the sweetest thoughts in my mind, whisper the name of one I adore and exhale gently.  I'm rather certain my message will be received for that is the magic of the midsummer night!


Art by Howard David Johnson
"Over hill, over dale,
Thorough bush, thorough brier,
Over park, over pale,
Thorough flood, thorough fire,
I do wander everywhere.
I am the merry wanderer of the night!"
~ William Shakespeare from Midsummer Night's Dream

  

No comments:

Post a Comment